Life after Death
|Its a message of hopeAsk the next 5 people you meet what happens when you die? You will probably get 5 different answers:
These are all contradictory. They cannot all be true.Mankind hopes there is more beyond.
Romans 6:23 “The wages of sin is death
1 John 5:11,12 He who has the Son has life, He who does not have the Son does not have life
Bible Teaching on life after death
1/ Only God is immortal -1 Timothy 6:15,16
2/ How man was made, what happens when he dies
-Genesis 2:7 Dust of ground + Breath of Life = Living being or soul
-Genesis 3:19 Man returns to dust at death
-Ecclesiates 12:7 At death the dust returns to earth, the spirit (breathe of life) returns to God who gave it
3/ Where man goes at death
-Ecclesiastes 9:10 To the grave
1 Kings 2:1,2 “about to go the way of all the earth” – what happened to him happens to all
Acts 2:29 …David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day.
Acts 2:34 For David did not ascend to heaven. He is not in heaven!
Resurrection is from the grave
-John 5:28 – All who are in the grave will hear His (Jesus) voice and come out
4/ His state in death
5. The Resurrection is the only hope
Established by the resurrection of Jesus -1 Corinthians 15:22, 23 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive. But each one in his own order: Christ, the firstfruits; afterward when He comes those who belong to Him
If we go to our reward at death;
1. God alone is immortal.
2. Jesus promises eternal life now and we will get it at the second coming.
3. In the meantime, death is like a sleep, a peaceful pause.
If the soul were immortal:
1. There could be no end of evil in the universe (Bleak prospect!!!) hell
2. Hell must be eternal, and
3. God is not all-powerful. He cannot destroy man, only make him uncomfortable
4. There would be no need for:
5. You are your own god
Death – a peaceful pause is a message of hope
1. Evil can come to an end rather than be immortalised
2. God can be “love” only if people will not suffer forever in Hell
3. The resurrection at the Second coming of Jesus is our only hope
4. God is the source of life – He offers it freely